Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Book: Glass Ceilings & 100-Hour Couples


I am so excited about one of the books I recently check out from the library. It's entitled, Glass Ceilings & 100-Hour Couples: What the Opt-Out Phenomenon Can Teach Us About Work and Family.

I have to confess that I've only read the two-page prologue, so this isn't yet a bona fide recommendation. However, I already have lots of neat ideas swirling around in my head.

The authors are both college professors. They talk about how the sabbaticals that they are entitled to as college professors give them a chance to feel what it's like to be a "stay-at-home-mom," while the rest of the year they experience what it's like to be a mother who also works full-time. In the prologue, they briefly talk about how gratifying it is to stay at home and yet simultaneously, there are reasons why they choose to work outside the home.

I'm eager to explore the benefits and drawbacks of staying home versus working full-time, and all the other configurations that are possible. One of my friends, who is currently a school principal, plans to quit her job for ten years to raise four kids. Another one of my friends, works part-time from home, and she and her partner hire a nanny to take care of her children at home while she's there working.

I can't even begin to imagine what kind of configuration will work for Matt, our family, and me. I'm eager to explore diverse ideas in this book!



Share |

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Please review this once you've read it! I'm eager to hear about this as well. I'd like to career change and we're (maybe) having one child 6 years from now, but being ready for these things requires planning and saving now. The work/ childcare situation is a real concern! I wonder if I can get this from the library?

Ambaa said...

Yes, this is an important subject for so many women. I am also trying to figure out what I should do about work when I start trying to have children. We can't survive on the one salary and I would like to get a better job than what I have now, but that would mean more hours, etc. Such a conundrum.

Marina said...

Ooo, I totally want to read this. This is definitely an issue my husband and I are freaking out over slightly as we enter the pre-conception stage, but I just keep reminding myself and him that it's not a one-time choice... we can and will probably change who works and how much multiple times over the 20+ years we parent.

Meghan said...

I think this looks like a must-read for me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails